A fire is one of the most frightening things you can experience in your North Port, Florida, home. Fires spread quickly and cause severe destruction. Protect your family and possessions by following these tips to reduce the risk of experiencing a fire in your home:

Check Cords and Outlets

If you overload the power outlets or power strips in your home, the risk of fire increases. Check how many items you have plugged in regularly, and spread appliances out to lessen the load on one specific area. An overloaded socket or power strip may spark. As a result, it can cause a fire to break out in your home.

You should also check the cords of all the items you’re using. Any fraying, exposed wires or other damaged areas could be dangerous. If you spot anything concerning with your cords, it’s better to replace them rather than take the risk.

Clean Out the Dryer Vent

Clothes dryers cause many house fires across the nation, often because of the accumulation of lint. This dry material can explode when exposed to the heat of the dryer. That’s why it’s so important to keep your lint trap clean.

The vent that connects your dryer to the outside must be cleaned regularly as well. A professional HVAC service technician can take care of the task. You should schedule a dryer vent cleaning about once a year to lessen your risk of a house fire.

Use Your Fireplace Cautiously

If you use a fireplace in your home, do so with caution. Install a metal screen to prevent sparks from escaping, and give ashes plenty of time to cool before you dispose them. Never leave candles or a fireplace unattended. Keep them away from curtains, blankets, carpeting and other flammable household items. As a result, you’ll reduce your risk of fire in your home.

Reduce your risk of a house fire by scheduling a service. Contact Executive Cooling & Heating at (941) 655-9070.

Image provided by Shutterstock

Pin It on Pinterest

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links